Wednesday, May 5, 2010

A rough couple of weeks



We're on the mend but it's been a rough couple of weeks. For starters, last week and a little of the week before, Van wasn't eating like the foodie he usually is. He was only taking down 10 ounces during the day and that was a struggle for me to get him to drink. We were still feeding him rice cereal in the morning and at night and I included the ounce or two of formula I was putting in there in the 10 ounces he was getting for the day. He just started pulling away from the bottle, arching his back and refusing altogether.

Then, he would wake up 5-6 times a night starving and we would feed him another 10 ounces at night. There was no sleep being had in our household and it wasn't pretty. I tried everything I could think of, Van was also having digestive problems so I thought this was the reason he was refusing his food.

But after about a week and a half of trying everything I could think of and talking to all my friends in playgroup I decided to call his doctor. So, last Thursday we went in and they said it sounds like Van has developed a case of acid reflux. It explains the lack of ounces during the day, the pulling way of the bottle, arching his back during feeding and crying during rice cereal. All of which were new to us and Van.

My poor little man. He was prescribed baby Zantac and tomorrow will be one week since he's started taking it. The doctors said it would take a week to see if it worked and right away we saw some changes. For one, he is not spitting up anything close to what he was in the past. He is drinking closer to 20 ounces during the day, loving his rice cereal again and last night for the first time in 2 months - he slept through the night!

I put him down at 8 pm and he slept until 5:30 am at which time I gave him a bottle and he went back to sleep until 7:30. I am praying tonight and tomorrow are the same. They say 3 days is a habit!

Now, I wish that I could say that I slept well last night but sadly, I started getting another sinus infection Sunday evening and it was at it's worst yesterday and last night. But, I saw the doctor today and I am hoping the antibiotics they gave me work fast. There is no rest for the weary.

Derek is out of town for business and it's just me and Peanut. We miss him terribly and this house is just not a home without D and our puppies. Come home soon daddy - we miss you like crazy! *hugs* & xkissesx

No comments:

Post a Comment