"There is only one happiness in life - to love and be loved." - George Sands
Growing up, I always thought I knew what love looked and felt like. I loved my parents, my siblings, my extended family. Then I fell in love with Derek and on our wedding day I thought that my heart would burst with all the love I felt for him.
But, it wasn't until the day that Van was born and I became a mother that I truly understood what love means. A hole had been opened in my heart and filled with so much unconditional love and understanding. This is how God loves me. This is how my parents love me. It was completely overwhelming, intoxicating and comforting.
Being a mother has made me a better person because of this understanding of God's love. He gave us this perfect gift in our Son and He has entrusted us to take care of him, teach him and most of all - love him.
It got me thinking about what would happen if I used that same approach with the people in my life? How much happier would I be? Could I help make other people happy? I have tried to come from a place of love in every moment of my life - there are many times that I fail. What can I say, I'm human and pregnant but I keep trying. And praying. Praying that I am exactly the kind of mom that Van and Rory need me to be.
And to me, that is what being a mom is all about. So thank you sweet Van from the bottom of my bursting heart. Thank you for opening my eyes and filling our lives with God's greatest gift. And thank you Derek, for making me a mom and a better person. Watching you with Van is one of my favorite pastimes.
Thank you to my incredible mom, who is not only an amazing woman but everything I needed her to be. And I needed A LOT!
Thank you to my caring, sweet and funny mother-in-law who raised a wonderful man. A man who is my very best friend, awesome husband and an even better father. I pray that Van turns out just like him.
Mother's Day weekend was full of family time. Just how I like to spend all my holidays! First thing Saturday morning Van and I went with Derek to his first sprint Triathlon of the year at Jetton Park. Van had not seen his daddy race since last summer so it was fun to see how he reacted to all the excitement!
 |
| Derek and Van before the 8 am swim start |
 |
| testing the water |
 |
| finished with his swim |
 |
| finishing on the bike |
 |
| and he was too fast for us to capture a picture of him running but Van was there to give him a high five after he crossed the finish line |
Derek finished 3rd in his age group and 17th overall!! We are so proud of you D!! And as always we had so much fun watching you race.
After we got home, I had to go to work for a few hours but once I got home I got to sit back and relax with my book (Fifty Shades of Grey) and cuddle with my little man while he played games on my iPhone (which he knows how to work a little too well!).
 |
| and yes i changed into my pajamas as soon as i got home from work! |
 |
| these beauties were waiting for me when i got home from work |
Sunday we cuddled in bed then had a delicious breakfast of sausage, egg & cheese croissants and the boys went out and got Starbucks! The rest of the day was spent between my parents house having a french toast brunch (can you tell we LOVE breakfast???) and at Derek's parents' having steak and lobster for dinner. A wonderful Mother's Day all the way around.
No comments:
Post a Comment