Friday, January 11, 2013

I love my village.

I can't believe how far behind I have gotten in my posts. I have written half a dozen of these as I am laying down and trying to fall asleep. I should have gone to the computer and typed them at that moment instead of trying to remember all that has happened months later.

My minis are growing so fast and I hate to think that I may not remember these times.

So, bear with me. Here goes on catching up. Things may be very scattered!

We have some wonderful holiday traditions going right now and there are a couple I want to add as the minis get older. Growing up in NC with all our family in CA was tough around the holidays. It didn't affect me then but looking back and seeing how amazing it is to have your aunts and uncles, cousins, grandparents and immediate family all in one place I feel like we missed out on getting to know some of our family.

That is why it is very important to me that Van and Rory grow up with as many family members around as are willing. It's true people, it takes a village to raise a baby. And I love my village!

A Christmas Eve tradition we started about 10 years ago was having dinner at my parents house. The first couple of years it was a traditional Christmas dinner but then it turned into something delicious - breakfast for dinner! My favorite. Homemade French Toast (with fancy bread), maple syrup (a given), bacon, egg casserole and Mimosas! Before the minis came along it was slightly different. Then, we chased our mimosas with Godiva martinis made my dad, who makes a mean martini. Now, we drink straight champagne and apparently chase it with red wine and scotch! (Don't ask.)

Anywoo, we started doing Secret Santa as our family grew and said when the day came that babies were born we would continue our game and everyone would still buy a gift for the minis.

On Thanksgiving night, after we have stuffed our bellies we take turns pulling names out of a hat and the game begins. It's funny to see who gets who and what gifts are given. We have a $50 limit so sometimes we have to get creative. I had my brother this year and he made it SO easy but I almost missed it. He posted a link on his facebook page about what he would like his Secret Santa to get him and if I had not had a moment of quiet to look at fb on my computer, I NEVER would have seen it and would have gotten him something completely different. So Secret Santa this year, watch my fb page around the holidays..........

On to the pictures.


You can't help but love on her as soon as she is in your arms.

Candace and Mason

They were such good sports as I took a million pictures and tried to not use a flash. 

Jereme and Mason. Lukoskie genes are strong I tell you.

Jacob, Jerr & Mason. So many boys in the fam.

Clay and Candace look like naturals with a baby girl!

Me and my beauty. Could not get Van to stand still long enough for a picture. That is the story these days.

This next sequence is my favorite from the night. It was right before they start tearing into presents and right after all the chaos. And it is the reason my camera was taken away from me and I was not allowed to take ANY pictures on Christmas Day. (That's my story and I am sticking to it!)

Poor Rory, she is going to have to learn to hold her own when she gets older.


Look where?

We love our pj's from Nana (new holiday tradition)

Is it me or do Van's feet look so big? What happened to my baby? I love how he loves his sister though. God surely blessed us when he gave us these minis.

I think they had enough. Cole is getting ready to hug Mason and the pictures after this were not pretty!


Christmas Morning was a treat. Van woke up early as usual and wanted to lay on the sofa with his strawberry milk and Bobby (the blanket) to watch cartoons. I decided to lay with him that morning to make sure he didn't get up and start opening presents without us. It took him a full hour to realize there were unwrapped gifts (from Santa) under the tree. Once he saw them, he wanted to play but I told him he needed to get Daddy out of bed first! The joy on his face as he saw what Santa brought, opened his gifts from us and handed out our presents was priceless and the only gift I wanted to see this year. 

After some coffee and showers we got dressed and headed over to Mimi & Papa's house for brunch. Mimi makes the best ham biscuits that we look forward to every year. We stuffed our bellies with those and then watched as Van received what was probably one of his most favorite gifts. His gator! (From Mimi, Papa & Fairy God-mother Dalcha)

I'll add this video now but it's bad quality. So turn the volume up and hopefully I can download from the right phone to get the picture cleared up.

Derek was trying to get Van to say "thank you" before he drove off in his toy and instead all we got was a "how it work?"

Van and his new Gator. He was so excited he lost a shoe!!





After a very eventful and blessed night and afternoon, we all sit down and have dinner together. My family comes over to my in-laws house and it's  always an evening full of love and laughter, great food, spirits and stories.


Some new holiday traditions I'd like to start in the coming years.

Make cookies for Santa, And leave peppermints for his Reindeer.

Pick 10 toys to donate to other children and leave for Santa to take on Christmas Eve.

Making a Christmas Tree ornament for each mini.

Read the Christmas Story to learn the real reason we celebrate.

Do something for someone else with all the minis. Let them pick as they get older. 


It's always better to give than it is to receive. 



New traditions we started this year(2012):
Van got his own mini Christmas Tree for his room and decorated it with help from Baxter.

Van threw Reindeer food in the yard on Christmas Eve so Santa could see his house.

New matching pj's were worn on Christmas Eve.

Van made a gingerbread house with Nana. Tried to eat said gingerbread house days later and spit it out. "Not good" he said!


Traditions we kept this year (2012):

Going Christmas Tree shopping at the Willy Simpson lot that daddy went to when he was a little boy.

Going to visit Grey & Haley in Wilmington and going to Enchanted Airlie Gardens to see Santa. He's the real deal. (This year we need to bring him cookies!)

Christmas Eve french toast at Nana's.

Christmas Day Brunch at Mimi's.

Christmas Day Dinner at Mimi's. 

1 comment:

  1. Those are some of our same traditions!!! I think they are what make the holidays so special!!!

    ReplyDelete