Sunday, September 26, 2010

Daddy's a Half Ironman now!!

Today Derek ran in his first Ironman sponsored 70.3 triathlon in Augusta, GA. 70.3 is the total milage Derek swam, biked and ran this morning! He was a strong competitor and finished his race in 5:41 (that's right - 5 hours and 41 minutes)! Candace so eloquently said, "Who wants to work out for almost 6 hours?"

Van and I were so proud as we watched D start his swim. My heart swelled with love and anxious nerves. There were so many people there and they only let the athletes down to the start line so I didn't get to see Derek once he left the hotel room at 5:00 am.

The weather was not so great (it was pouring) but at least it was not too chilly. Van and I were not prepared. Neither of us brought an umbrella, raincoat or rain cover for the stroller!



Heat #1 (Derek's age group) boarding the dock. If you look closely you can see Derek at the top of the ramp! (I'm not really that good - I just got lucky!)


And they're off.


Tri-ing (get it?) to stay dry. ; )
Van is not amused by my joke.


We missed D on the bike since it took him all over South Carolina. So we found a dry spot on the run course and waited. Van took a nap. (I just noticed he is hanging on dearly to his hammer! If you know Van, you know he likes to "hammer" things. Which is a nice way to say he likes to bang on everything in sight!)


Derek running his half marathon. Sorry about the angle of the camera. I always forget you can't turn it when it is in video mode. And I was juggling little man! Oh and sorry for the screaming. I was a LITTLE excited to see my hubby!






Doesn't he look great after pushing himself 70.3 miles!?!


Conversations with Van:
"Hey Dad, where did you get that cool medal?"


"Really? I can wear it???"


Oh yea, well my dad is cooler than yours AND he lets me wear his medal!


"Ok, now you need another one."


Daddy's #1.5 Fan


Thanks for stopping by!


2 comments:

  1. i agree with candace!! great job derek!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That made me tear up when you were cheering for Derek. Isn't it so fun being so proud of your man? =)

    ReplyDelete