Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Where do I start?

I feel like so much has happened since I last wrote that I have no idea where to begin. So I guess I need to begin with what I remember most.

Let's just say that today has defined what has been going on these last three weeks. The fact that it is after 10:00 p.m. and Derek and I are only now making ourselves dinner should say it all!

It's been a big week of milestones for Van and it's only Tuesday! Saturday - he sat up by himself and today he pulled himself up into a standing position using the coffee table. To say that I am not ready for any of this is not saying enough. I. AM. NOT. READY.

Mid pull-up

Seriously Van.

He has been so full of energy all day. Most of it positive. He's had his fussy moments. I had to put him in the baby bjorn after I got home from work today because he would not let me put him down. I indulged him. I missed him too. So, he fell asleep on my chest in the baby bjorn.

Bath time was fun as always. Kid loves the water. He somehow turned himself sideways when he was reaching behind his back for his ducky. Look at that smile!

I had an incredibly hard time putting him down tonight. He was all over the place and everytime I went to lay him down he would scream bloody murder. He's been cutting tooth #3 this week so I am sympathetic. Poor kid can't help his pain. A friend told me that if we (adults) had to go through the whole tooth cutting process now - we'd need Vicodin the pain is so terrible. So anyhoo - Van and I resorted to a walk to the Harris Teeter (our local grocery store) and then to watching the thunderstorm roll into Uptown from our patio. When I thought he was tired enough to sleep I took him back into his room but got the same result as before.

At this point, I am one tired mommy and I need a breather. So, I gently lay him in his crib and pray that he falls asleep while I go do some much needed laundry - nice breather eh? While taking the wet towels out of the washing machine and placing them in the dryer I jam my finger somehow. Told you I was tired! Well, Derek happened to walk into the closet just as I have fallen to my knees in tears. That really hurt and I was so frustrated with myself.

After pulling myself together - feeling very silly, I realize that all is quiet in the house and if you have young children - correction - young, busy children then you know that when it is quiet, you need to be worried. So, I tiptoed into Van's dark room and see his little silhouette STANDING up at the end of his crib. I ran to get Derek so he could see. He walked into the room and all we hear are giggles. D turns on the light and there is our adorable little boy smiling at us! He was so proud of himself and in a fit of laughter. All frustration was gone. My heart melted there on the spot and I found myself laughing with him.

What a little booger. God broke the mold when he made our sweet Van. It was one of those moments I know I will think of and laugh at often.

Here is a video of Van at bedtime (the first time we tried to lay him down tonight). This is what we discovered Van likes to do on the guest bed when we're not around. Mind you I am not pushing him up. I am only holding him enough so that when he lets go, I can catch his silly bum. Notice the giggling.......he thinks he's so big. Someone please tell me who replaced my infant with a toddler.



2 comments:

  1. OH. MY. GOD he is doing pull ups!!!!!!!!!! what?!!!!!???!!!!???!!!!????!!! yes, you skipped mid baby and went to toddler. can't wait to see you today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! I can't believe how strong he is! He is going to be walking in no time, too! Oh, boy~

    ReplyDelete