Derek, Van and I are so proud to introduce our little bean. Aurora "Rory" Blair was born on August 3, 2012 at 4:26 am. Labor was excruciating at first, until mommy got her epidural, but thankfully it was super fast lasting a total of about 4.5 hours!!
It all started around midnight, August 3rd (two days past my due date). Rory was fashionably late of course, just like her daddy (everywhere he goes) and her big brother (he was born a day past his due date). Contractions woke me from sleep and as I started trying to keep track of them I quickly realized these were the real deal but since I had false labor the night before I wanted to make sure they were consistent for an hour before calling my midwife. I should have listened to Derek and called after 30 minutes because by the time an hour was up, and I had called my OB office, heard back from the nurse and my midwife, my contractions were 2-3 minutes apart and on a scale of 1-10 (10 being the most painful) I was at a level 20!!!! It felt like my body was being ripped in half.
We got to the hospital just after 1 am (I think), the car ride there is a complete blur. Check in on the hand was not. The woman behind the desk did not seem to realize the amount of pain I was in, I mean I felt like I could start pushing at any moment and she wanted to ask me all kinds of questions. Lady, can you please get me upstairs so I can get my drugs - mmmmmmmkay????
I'm wheeled to my room and the nurses at CMC were on the ball. They were so fast at getting me admitted, my IV's started and helping me breathe through another hour of contractions (why did I not take a Lamaze class???) and finally thankfully getting my epidural. I just remember being in so much pain that I wanted my mom so I asked Derek to call my mom and ask her to come to the hospital. The epidural started working it's magic around 2:45 am and my mom got there around 3:30.
We didn't think Rory was going to be born until around 6:30/7:00 because I still needed my second IV bag of antibiotics. But my midwife came in a little after 4 am to check on me and before I knew what was happening she and my labor and delivery nurse were prepping me to break my water. Then she said, "ok Melissa you have about 5 minutes of pushing and your baby girl will be here!" Low and behold it took less than 5 minutes of pushing!!!
Rory weighed 7 pounds 14 oz with rosy, rosy cheeks and a head full of dark hair. She didn't cry much and had to be suctioned pretty intensely due to labor being too fast to naturally expel all the fluid from her body. Her rosy cheeks were a result of her hands being up by her face for 10 months.
She is beautiful and wonderfully made! We are so thankful to God for our sweet, laid back angel.
She looks a lot like Van and even more like Derek. We think she has his nose, lips, chin and hairline!! I'm waiting to see what she got from me ;) Most people don't know but I was born with a head full of jet black hair that lightened to blonde by the time I turned 3 months. (I'll have to find a picture for comparison!)
 |
| Mimi and her baby girl |
No comments:
Post a Comment