Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Van's Birthday Rumpus


We had an incredible weekend full of amazing family and friends, laughter and tears of joy. On December 11th, we celebrated the birthday of our sweet one-year-old Van!

Since his birthday falls so close to Christmas, I didn't want to use ANY Christmas decorations for his party. I wanted his day to be all about him. So at first that was my game plan. Other than not wanting it to be "christmas-y", I had no clue what I was going to do. Then I found this invitation and the ball started rolling........

I found this on Tiny Prints. The monsters aren't the same as the ones found in Where the Wild Things Are but I decided to take my inspiration from there. And let me tell you that it is close to impossible to find ANY Where the Wild Things Are party supplies/decorations.

With my party committee's help, this is what we did.

Hung streamers to create a "jungle" feel:


Cut vines out of tissue paper and hung them from the ceiling to create a 3D look:


Printed out pictures from the book onto cardstock and made masks for the tiny humans to play with and set out crowns so everyone could be Max for the day:



The only decor we didn't make:


Uncle Josh made this adorable photobooth:


We wanted to go with a kid-friendly menu and thought finger foods would be the way to go. I found some delicious recipes off Belleicious Kids. For apps we had spinach-artichoke dip with carrots and pimento cheese dip with pita bite crackers. We also made Sliders, Crispy Baked Macaroni Cups and Chicken Fingers.


My friend Mandie from Got What It Cakes made the super cute and yummy monster smash cake and eyeball cupcakes. The chocolate-chocolate chip smash cake is one of the monsters off Van's invitation. And the eyeballs were vanilla and chocolate-chocolate chip. (Chocolate-chocolate chip is my weakness)!



Van throughly enjoyed his monster smash cake!





And now my favorite part: our amazing family and friends who were there to celebrate with us!

Stew & Margaret Blount


Jack, Brooke & Lawton (Van's BFF)



Libby & Betsy Grace


Tucker representing the Thiels


My party committee - Haley & Angie


Uncle Josh & Papa Utz


Erin & Evelyn


Van & Cole hanging out


Uncle Clay & Aunt Candace


Gr-Uncle Cal, Gr-Aunt Kathy, Nana & Colonel


Ellen, Aunt Candace & Erica


Aunt Selwa & Uncle Jereme


When it came time to open presents, Van wasn't quite sure what he was supposed to do but luckily daddy wase there to help him figure it out! He loved tearing everything open. Check out that grin!





*Thank you so much to Josh, I could not have made everything come together without you. And to Haley and Angie a huge thank you for all your help decorating, making food and cleaning up. You are the bestest friends a girl could ask for and I love you all!*

No comments:

Post a Comment